Boris Johnson speech unveils post-lockdown recovery plan – Covid-19 Government Briefing 🔴 BBC Recovery description:
Boris Johnson has finished outlining his vision to rebuild the UK after the virus crisis.
He was keen to describe the plans as a “New Deal”, referencing the plans of Depression-era American President Franklin D. Roosevelt, who launched one of largest, most expensive US government programmes after the Wall Street Crash of 1929.
Here are the main points:
* Johnson said the government must assess its handling of the virus crisis, saying: “There must be time to learn the lessons and we will.”
* He reiterated his plan from the election manifesto to recruit 20,000 police officers, as well as “ending the lunacy that stops us deporting violent criminals”
* He said he wants to “build back greener and build a more beautiful Britain” by planting 30,000 hectares of trees to “enchant and re-energise the soul”
* He pledged to build “fantastic new homes” by introducing radical planning reforms, as well as help younger people get on the housing ladder
* The UK should set a goal for producing the world’s first zero emissions long haul, passenger plane, he said, adding that the country can be a “science super power”
* He promised the government will offer an “opportunity guaranteed” for every person to have an apprenticeship or in-work placement.
All our TV channels and S4C are available to watch live through BBC iPlayer, although some programmes may not be available to stream online due to rights. If you would like to read more on what types of programmes are available to watch live, check the ‘Are all programmes that are broadcast available on BBC iPlayer?’ FAQ 👉 .
Boris Johnson speech unveils post-lockdown recovery plan – Covid-19 Government Briefing 🔴 BBC Recovery Comments :